Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Recipe Wednesday: Onion Straws

Ok so we never make our own (deep) fried food, but we had Red Robin burgers a couple weeks ago, and mine had onion straws on it. It was SO good. I decided to try and find a recipe to make them and found a couple and kind of combined them all and came up with this one. They were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. And again, we don't really care for deep fried foods, but these are definitely worth a once-in-awhile making (I confess, I've made them 3 times in the past week and a half ;) They're just so good...).

Onion Straws
1 large onion, very thinly sliced
1 cup of buttermilk (I don't ever buy buttermilk, I make my own - 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and then enough milk to make 1 cup-- doesn't have the same zing as buttermilk, but it gets the job done)
2 cup of flour
1-2 cups canola oil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground red cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. pepper


Allow onions to soak in buttermilk (or milk and lemon mixture) for about a half hour. Heat vegetable oil in saucepan (I use a medium size pan) to medium high heat. Combine flour, garlic powder, ground red cayenne pepper and pepper in a medium size bowl. Dredge onions in flour mixture and then place (carefully!) in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to paper towel and repeat with remaining onion pieces.

(Be prepared to snack on the finished onions while you prepare the rest. Maybe I should start cutting up a small onion to throw in the batch too. That way I'd have a designated snack onion. ;))

1 comment:

  1. Just got back from church and was mentally planning a fun dinner for the hub (for DVRing the game and going with me today) when I knew I needed a recipe for onion straws. Typed it into google and clicked on your link. So glad I did! I am getting distracted by yummy dinner bread recipes, pretty (and cleverly made) Christmas ornaments, and delightful blogs. Now I am going to figure out how to subscibe to my first "feed" and then go try out this recipe which is most appreciated! ;)

    ReplyDelete