Want a cute way to keep drinks from leaving water rings on your furniture? Need a quick but thoughtful and handmade gift? These fabric coasters are perfect! They are super easy to make and are a fabulous gift in a set of 4 or 5.
1. First, gather/cut supplies. You will need:
1 piece of flannel 4.5" x 4.5" (this will be the inside lining)
2 pieces of outside fabric (one for the top and one for the bottom), each measuring 4.5" x 4.5" (I'm using two pieces from a vintage sheet! Yay!)
2. Pin pieces in this order: Flannel on the bottom, top piece (right side up), bottom piece (right side down).
3. Sew around all 4 sides with a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave a 1" opening on one side, this will allow you to flip it right side out.
4. Clip the corners, and then....
5. Flip it! Reach in between the two pieces of outside fabric and grab a corner and pull through the 1" opening you left while sewing it.
6. Using the end of a pen, stick the pen inside the coaster through the opening and gently poke each corner to square out the corners. Then iron the coaster.
7. Topstitch around the outside with a 1/4" seam allowance. This will close up the 1.5" opening and create a finished look. Iron it one more time and Voila! You're finished!