Monday, April 11, 2011

Idea Journal :: My Inspiration

Last week I shared my Idea Journal that I just started keeping. This journal, kind of like a sketchbook (I don't really sketch a whole lot, so not a sketchbook for me), is specifically set aside for, well, ideas and inspiration. For me, this can come in the form of magazine clippings, other clippings or found special things, notes, jots and lists, or parts of other projects that are inspiring me to make other things.

I wasn't quite sure how I would have the journal set up (and am still pondering some things). Whether I would have tabs for different sections, or just fill up a page at a time, etc. Not a huge deal, but worth some thought to me :) My inspiration for the layout of the journal finally (including a hand-drawn calendar!) came from "this chicken" blog. I love, love, love how she set up her journal! So I emailed her and asked if I could share her pictures- all pictures below are from her journal. Thanks Rebecca :) Visit her blog for some insightful tips on setting up your own journal, including how to add a page marker - like below.
I love the idea of the calendar - a fun way to divide up and keep track of what is inspiring me each month - also helpful for a quick glance of events and happenings.
The grid thing is so fabulous. As a graphic designer, I love grids. Nice and square grids. Sometimes I have trouble (when designing) getting past everything in a layout being nice and lined up on a grid, but that's a whole other story.
Do you have an Idea Journal? If so, I'd love to see pictures! Go here to upload them onto The Creative Place's flickr account. I might be pulling some of the images now and then to share here on the blog :)

If not, why not make one!? All you need is a blank journal, or you can take a pile of blank paper and have it bound at your local office supply store or print shop. It doesn't have to be fancy-schmancy. It's yours. There's no right or wrong way to make it. It's yours. It's for whatever you want to put in it. It's yours.

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've been keeping a journal for quite a few years, but never thought of keeping an inspiration journal. I've been finding lots of great new ideas for making journaling even more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Hope you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her journal, and yours. Thanx for the inspiration =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love this idea...I used to keep similar scrapbooks as a child of everything I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do keep a notebook in the first drawer of my desk where i sketch ideas when i see something that i really like but it's nothing as pretty as yours (or this chicken's). i still need to improve!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Ideas!!
    I just want to say you that I have used one of your tutorial for a little mini-album for my hausband.
    You can find it here : http://lilithgarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/mini-album-10-cose-che-amo-di-te.html with the credit for you and a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. heyheyhey, am i seen "posta romana" on those postal stamps? are you romanian? (cause i am..)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and inspiring piece. I keep all my ideas online these days, but seeing how pretty they look drawn out makes me want to do that also:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    What an amazing ideas!!! just love it!! mabye you want to check out my blog? swedishartgirl.blogspot.com
    Have a nice and crafting day!

    Greetz Swedish art girl

    ReplyDelete
  10. your journal is very neat. I love it. I love your handwriting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do! They are My Everything Books. I am just about out of pages on my fifth one. Literally, I track everything in them-from calendars & to do lists, to pictures & sketches, favorite quotations & Scriptures & lyrics,prayer requests& journaling. I love my books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started an "Idea Journal" last night! After having mounds of magazine pages torn out laying around, I decided what better way than to compile them in a "journal".

    Looking forward to reading more ideas!

    ReplyDelete