Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fabric Covered Buttons

I've heard of people making their own fabric covered buttons and have been looking into figuring out how to make my own. Well, I was at Wal-Mart the other day, looking around in the sewing section and happened upon a little "Fabric Covered Button Making Kit" - Yay! It was less than $2.00 for a kit to make five covered buttons, so I decided to go for it.

I had some fabric scraps on hand and used them to try out the kit. I was amazed at how easy it was. These are SO incredibly easy to make. As in, it took less than one minute to make each! 
All I did was cut out a 1.5"-ish circle of fabric and followed the directions on the back of the package.
 Simple enough. Put the fabric in the little thing-a-ma-jig, then put on the top button part.
Push that down into the white thing-a-ma-jig, then lightly push the fabric towards the middle.
Put the back of the button on, use the blue thing-a-ma-jig and push down to snap into place. 
And voila! A cute little fabric covered button. You could add these to a bag or tote, or maybe to an apron? 

I found these on etsy - they are flatback, so maybe if you used these "flatbacks" they could be used on a scrapbooking page or in a journal?!
If you would rather order a kit online, this shop has kits with 10 buttons to cover for a very reasonable price - or flatback kits here. So fun! :)

1 comment: