Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Food: Butternut Squash Tart

We frequent our local Farmer's Market a fair amount - always a ton of great local produce, meat, eggs, baked goods, jams, honey, etc.  My sis and I went the other weekend and got a loaf of Asiago bread, fresh squeezed orangeade, and two slices of an incredibly delicious butternut squash tart from one of our fave vendors. After having the tart for lunch, I knew I had to find a recipe to make it! I searched high and low all over the www, and finally found this similar recipe. It was a good starting point, but I knew I wanted to make several changes.
The tart I had eaten was packed with vegetables - butternut squash (yay for this yummy fall squash!), zucchini, yellow squash, onion and and orange bell pepper. I also knew that they used greek yogurt instead of eggs, so I decided to use that and add some softened cream cheese to thicken it up.

So basically, I started with a store-bought pie crust (would rather make my own next time, but needed a short cut), chopped up a bunch of veggies and sautéed them, put a layer of greek yogurt, feta cheese and cream cheese (mixed) on the pie crust, put the veggies on top, and then grated fresh parmesan cheese. Super simple. The longest part was chopping the veggies (which you could possibly prep beforehand?). It was so yummy. The kiddos didn't really care for it ;), but my hubby and I enjoyed it.

Butternut Squash Tart
+ 1 store-bought deep-dish pie crust (or make your own from scratch)
+ 1/2 cup greek yogurt
+ 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
+ 1/4 cup Feta cheese
+ 1 large zucchini, chopped
+ 1 large yellow squash, chopped
+ 1/2 of a medium-large butternut squash, peeled and chopped
+ 1 small orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
+ 1 small onion, chopped
+ 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
+ freshly grated parmesan cheese, to taste
+ salt and pepper, to taste

Bake pie crust according to package directions. Be sure to use pie beads so your crust doesn't bubble up. Or you could just stick an oven safe little dish in the middle of the crust (I may or may not have done that) if you don't have pie beads. Set baked pie crust aside to cool.

Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté the veggies until slightly tender. While veggies are sautéing, mix together greek yogurt, cream cheese, and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture evenly into cooled pie crust. Top with sautéed veggies. Grate parmesan (to taste) evenly over sautéed veggies.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted on top. If the pie crust edges start to brown too much, cover with foil (I covered mine for the last 10 minutes). Let cool on a cooling rack and serve warm or almost room temperature.  Refrigerate leftovers and reheat (microwave or oven) when you're ready to eat :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment