Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Recipe Day Wednesday!

I've been thinking about making this dish- Broccoli Salad. It's a cool, crisp refreshing treat for the hot summer days (which seem to be here already in Wake Forest- we've apparently completely skipped spring, lol).

I got this recipe from my mom- it was a family favorite growing up.

Broccoli Salad
2 bunches broccoli
10 bacon slices
1 red onion
1/3 cup dark raisins
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (optional)

Cut broccoli florets into smaller than bite-size pieces. Cut off the tough outer layer of the stalks and cop the tender part into smaller pieces. You need approximately 8 cups of broccoli.

In a small skillet, saute the bacon until crisp and set aside.

Chop onion into small pieces. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, onion, raisins and bacon. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and pepper.

Combine the dressing with the vegetable mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving- mixing once during this time.

If desired, top with sunflower seeds and serve.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:
I was thumbing through my recipe book that I compiled as a Christmas present to my sisters 2 years ago and found another fabulous recipe that I had forgotten about (LOVE it when that happens ;)).

My husband and I received a $100 gift certificate to The Joshua Wilton House in Harrisonburg, VA, when we were living there several years ago. We went for our 2nd anniversary (yes, many years ago ;)) and one of the appetizers on the menu was Corn Fritters with Peanut Sauce. We decided to try them -- wasn't sure how good they would be, especially since we don't eat a lot of fried food... I mean, "Corn Fritters?!" Anyways. They were fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. I think I could have eaten several servings. Of course, they are deep fried, so definitely not that good for you, but everything in moderation, right?

After having a scrumptious meal, I decided I would have to find a recipe to try and recreate the corn fritters.

I found this one online, and it is very, very close. Close enough to be good enough for me!

Corn Fritters with Hot Peanut Sauce
Corn Fritters
3 cups oil for frying (yikes!)

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. shortening, melted
12 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained

Peanut sauce:
4 Tbsp. peanut butter
4 Tbsp. hot water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1.5 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp. lemon juice

Heat oil in heavy pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, beat together egg, milk, and melted shortening. Stir into flour mixture. Mix in the corn kernels.

Drop fritter batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Peanut sauce: In a small bowl combine peanut butter and water; mix until a smooth paste forms. Stir in soy sauce, then brown sugar, then cayenne pepper and the lemon juice. Mix by hand until well combined and smooth.

Pour over hot corn fritters or serve as a dipping sauce. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment