Thursday, July 23, 2009

Color Exercise: Color Boards

Color Exercise: Making Color Boards to serve as inspiration for future layouts and ideas.

I wanted to make different color boards to have as inspiration on my inspiration board (these would also go great in an inspiration journal/sketchbook). I started with an 8.5 x 11 sheet of white cardstock and cut it into quarters (4.25 x 5.5). I then started going through my stashes of different materials: buttons, paper, paper flowers, ribbon, and fabric. It was fun finding different pieces to add to each board, and I am absolutely amazed at how many different shades, tints, etc. there are of each color. I guess I never really thought about it until I started doing this exercise!
Since we're talking about shade and tint, I just had to do a black and white one! I couldn't believe how many items I have in black and white.

I hung them on my inspiration board (it's quite full... I think I probably need to clean it up and start adding new inspiration).
Other variations to try:
1. Clipping inspiration from magazines and grouping them into categories of color.
2. Creating different color combinations on each board (green and pink, pink and brown, pastels, brights, etc).
3. Using colored markers, pencils or pens (instead of items) to create different color combinations.
4. Using ONLY buttons, fabric or paper on each board, but all in the same "color"- so, one board would have only buttons in say, green in all different shades, tints, etc.; the second board would have only fabric in the corresponding color (green - shades, tints, etc.); the third would have only paper in the corresponding color (green - shades, tints, etc.).

0 comments:

Post a Comment