Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday Tutorial: Holiday Giftwrap Ideas

I've been trying to think outside the box with giftwrap this year - I will definitely be using regular giftwrap (leftover rolls from last year), but also wanted to incorporate some eco-friendly ideas. I cut up a paper bag from the grocery store, used some leftover Christmas scrapbooking paper, old Christmas cards, some vintage sewing pattern paper (you can usually find these patterns at a consignment shop or antique shop for cheap). I also used some parchment paper wrapped over a vintage dictionary page to wrap a book -- the parchment paper is impossible to tape so I wrapped twine around it to secure it. I had some extra red fabric scraps laying around so I wrapped a small oddly shaped gift in that and secured it with green yarn. I purchased the yarn and red string very inexpensively at Wal-Mart, and some twine and butcher's twine at a dollar store. I saw the idea for using yarn as ribbon here.
Grocery paper bag wrap

Christmas scrapbooking paper

Vintage sewing pattern and Christmas card tag


Other ideas for eco-friendly giftwrap: old atlas pages, newsprint, pages from a Christmas catalog (Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, etc). You could also potato stamp designs onto the paper bag, decorate it with ribbon or paper scraps glued on. Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT. I was going to do a similar post, but I may just direct them to you now! :) You are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some awesome ideas here, especially wrapping in vintage sewing patterns.

    onecraftylibrarian.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete