Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This is my older sister's recipe. It is so yummy! :)

Stuffed French Toast

8oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. Vanilla
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 loaf French bread
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour

Blend cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and nuts together in a bowl. Spread slices of bread with cream cheese mixture; top with additional slices to make "sandwiches." Using a wire whisk, whip eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and milk together. Add flour a little at a time; continue whipping with whisk as you do so. Dip sandwiches quickly on both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off. Place dipped sandwiches into a medium-hot skillet. Cook until golden brown on both sides, turning as needed. Serve topped with fresh blueberry or strawberry sauce (see below), fresh fruit and powdered sugar or maple syrup.

Strawberry or Blueberry Sauce
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
or
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water in a saucepan. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring until mixture thickens. Stir in fruit and simmer about 10 minutes or until berries burst. Add butter and stir until melted.

4 comments:

  1. You don't happen to have a picture to share? I seem to be a visual person with new recipes, and this one sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I am doing in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments - this really is a yummy recipe :) My- I was certain I had a picture of it, but searched and searched and couldn't find it anywhere on my computer :( If I make it soon, I'll post a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a bit curious about stuffed french toast but it sounds amazing, definitely want to give it a try

    your recipes are as lovely as your crafting, you're my new blog hero!

    samuraijen - swap bot

    ReplyDelete