Thursday, January 12, 2012

Food: No-Knead Loaf Bread

A couple months ago, I shared this recipe for Rosemary Bread. I make it a ton. I decided to try making it without the rosemary one day (because the rosemary wasn't really going to "go" with the dinner I was making), and also making it into two loaves (instead of two rounds). It turned out great and I am happy to have a relatively quick 2-loaf recipe! I have also been using half white bread flour and half whole wheat white flour - it turns out a little more dense, but still good. You could also make one loaf with the melted rosemary and butter mixture and one with just melted butter and have two different loaves, for two different meals :)

No-Knead Loaf Bread
1 packet yeast
2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 cups bread flour (I sometimes use 2 cups bread flour, 2 cups whole wheat white flour)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Combine yeast, sugar and water in a measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast and sugar mixture and stir to combine. I also used my hands at this point to make sure it was fully combined - do NOT knead.

Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place (I put mine on the back burner of the stove, turn the oven on to warm for 5 minutes, then turn it off) for about an hour.

Divide dough into two equal rounds, shape into rectangular-ish loaves (I sprinkled a little bit of flour to make the dough easier to handle-- it's super sticky) and place each in a greased 9"x5" loaf pan. Brush melted butter on each loaf. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise again in a warm place for an hour.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then adjust oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 10-15 more minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment