Wednesday, March 19, 2014

food: apple turnovers

Last night for dinner I made quiche lorraine (one of our faves). Since it is kind of a breakfast-y meal, I like to pair something sweet with it - usually I make some of these fabulous cinnamon rolls, but I didn't have all of the ingredients (and had not planned ahead ;)). I knew I had some apples.... and a puff pastry a friend had left for me after a party awhile back.... so I started thinking --- apple turnovers! This was the first time I've ever made these and they were delish.
Typically, I try (keyword) to make most everything from scratch - but I was on a time crunch and had the puff pastry. I did some research and found a recipe to try making my own next time here.

I found a recipe, adapted it a little and we loved how it turned out!

Apple Turnovers - adapted slightly from allrecipes.com

1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 cups water
2 Gala (or Granny Smith) apples - peeled, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1-1/2 tsp. water
1/2 (17.25 oz) pkg. puff pastry

Icing
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. milk

Pull puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw on countertop until easy to handle - about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix together lemon juice and 2 cups water. Place chopped apple pieces in mixture and set aside (this will prevent them from browning).

Melt butter in medium skillet over medium-low heat. Drain water-lemon mixture from apples, and place apples in skillet with melted butter. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and continue cooking for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved. Add cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until sauce thickens.

Unfold puff pastry into a square and cut in half vertically, and then in half horizontally - so you will have 4 squares. Scoop apple mixture onto each square and be sure to divide evenly among each square. Pull one corner of the pastry over the the other diagonally so you have a triangle (see picture of finished turnover). Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven. While turnovers are baking, combine icing ingredients - add more milk to reach desired consistency - remember that you want it to drizzle over the turnovers easily, not be a huge glob of icing ;)

After turnovers are done baking, transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool about 10 minutes. Drizzle glazing over them and serve! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment