Here's a fun little ornament you can make in less than an hour to decorate your space for Valentine's Day or to give to a special someone. :)
First, gather your supplies:
- 1 sheet 9"x12" felt in pink, red or white (you can find this at your local craft store like Michael's, ACMoore, or even at WalMart, if they have a craft section) - I chose pink.
- Batting (or maybe you could even use leftover fabric scraps or old clothes you are getting rid of? So you wouldn't have to buy a whole thing of batting)
- Embroidery floss (you can also find this at your local craft store or WalMart) - about 30 inches
- An assortment of buttons in Valentine-themed colors (red, pink, white, clear) - you can probably find these on etsy or at your local craft store - I had a huge container of buttons that I picked through to find the Valentine-themed ones
- Thread and needle
- About 7" of red (or white or pink) skinny ribbon (not pictured below, oops ;))
- Pencil or disappearing ink pen (available where ever you buy sewing supplies)
- Heart template (see below), or draw your own- freehand
Below is a heart template: Click to enlarge, then right click, save and print at 100%.Cut out the heart and trace around it onto your felt with the pencil or disappearing ink pen.
Fold the felt in half and cut two hearts at the same time. I went ahead and spritzed some water on the ink to make it disappear after this step. If you used a pencil, make sure that the side with pencil marks will be on the inside of the ornament and not visible.
Begin sewing buttons onto one of the hearts. Use as many or as few as you prefer.
Once you have sewn all the buttons on, thread your needle with the embroidery floss.
Place the two hearts together and begin stitching around the heart.
When you are about 3/4 of the way through sewing it together, stop and stuff the heart with the batting. Hold the two edges of the hearts back together and finish sewing around the heart.
Next, attach the ribbon to the back so you have a way to hang your heart up.
Voila! A cute Valentine Ornament!
very sweet, i love it!ReplyDelete
Oh my goodness this is precious!ReplyDelete
Ooooh! Love this idea. Thanks!ReplyDelete
I love this! And I'm off to make one now. Thanks for the tutorial!ReplyDelete
So simple but cute, cute, cute!!! I'm gonna make bunches....lolReplyDelete
This is so darling! I'll be linking today!ReplyDelete
I'm making this one of the featured links on my blog today.ReplyDelete
It's positively lovely!