Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DIY :: Glass Magnets

I'm kind of on a magnet kick right now. I found a bag of 30 of these glass gems at the Dollar Tree for, yes, $1.00. My 1" paper punch cut out the perfect-sized circles to use for these. So a little bit of Mod Podge and a magnet later, I had more super cute magnets to add to the refrig.
 
Like the other magnets I shared last week- these are really easy and inexpensive to make. I printed out some pictures in tiny proportions, then found some words in a vintage dictionary I wanted to use (family, love, loving), as well as some vintage sheet music words and music- the glass magnifies the words- super cool. I used the 1" paper punch, but you could easily trace around the glass gems onto the paper you want to cut out and free hand cut it.
Supplies:
- Glass gems - about 1" or 1.25" wide (you can find these at any craft store, or the Dollar Tree)
- Pictures or vintage images/words
- Mod Podge
- Magnet backing
- Foam brush (that I had already started using in the picture above. Ha.)
- Scissors (if you cut around the images free hand)
Simply brush a light coat of Mod Podge on the back of the glass gem and then adhere the picture/image. Press down and gently rub the image to get all of the air bubbles out. Let fully dry. The glue will dry clear.
Cut a small piece of magnet and adhere to the back.  Voila! A fun and personal magnet you can use on your refrig, or give to someone else as a gift :)


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple, but so very very nice!
    Like them a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that it's so easy to put together. Am going to make them as gifts for my girl's pre-school graduation.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are stunning. I've always wanted to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the idea!! A couple of questions: How did you get the photos so small? Did you use a computer program to resize the images? Also - did you use a special photo printer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is great...love, love, love...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    I bought my supplies from a website called Sun And Moon Craft Kits. They had everything that I needed and more. They're very nice to deal with and they have an awesome Facebook page as well. Here is a link to the site:

    http://www.sunandmooncraftkits.com

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. génial!!! good idea!!! j'aime :>))

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very cool, I've made them before and given them as gifts. I just wanted to mention that you may want to invest in strong magnets, I found the sheet magnets on the glass gems weren't quite strong enough to hold things well. They are a great gift though and always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going to send some with our Save the Dates for our wedding.

    ReplyDelete